Sonoma County Homeless Resource Guide              

   Alcohol & Drug Recovery
   Birth Certificates & Photo IDs
   Cell Phone Plans

   Coordinated Entry System

   Counseling & Mental Health
   Day Centers
   Dental Care
   Disability Services
   Emergency Shelter & Services
   Employment & Training
   Farm Worker Services
   Financial Assistance
   Food: Groceries & Hot Meals
   Health Care
   Homeless Court
   Legal Services
   Permanent Housing Assistance
   Permanent Supportive Housing
   Pet Care
   Senior Services
   Transitional Housing
   Transportation & Paratransit
   Veterans Services
   Youth Services
   24 Hour Hotlines


































































































Financial Assistance

    Countywide (Santa Rosa location)

Several agencies throughout Sonoma County assist low income residents, who have been living in our county for 6 months or more, with one month’s rent or mortgage, security deposit and utilities. In some cases, assistance is available for critical needs like medical equipment costs. Eligibility varies from program to program. Funds are generally paid to the landlord or service provider. Many agencies also assist with food stamp applications.

CalFresh (Food Stamps): 565-2715 or 800-331-2278. 
For elderly, disabled or low income individuals & families. You do not need a physical address to be eligible for food stamps. Walk-ins M-F 8am-4:30pm. Apply for services M-F 8am-3pm. 2550 Paulin Dr. (map).  Se habla español.  For more CalFresh info, call 1-877-699-6868,  visit or apply online:

Calfresh/Food Stamp Application Assistance: The following agencies also help with applying for Calfresh/Food Stamps. Se habla español.

  • Catholic Charities (SR): 284-3850 x 374\
    Community Action Partnership Sonoma Co. (SR): 544-6911
    Healdsburg Day Labor Center: 433-6652
    La Luz Center (Boyes Hot Springs): 938-5131
    North Sonoma County Services (Healdsburg): 433-6161
    Petaluma People Services Center: 765-8488


Countywide (Santa Rosa location)
Catholic Charities: 284-3850. 
Helps with Covered California applications and enrollment in Medi-Cal for children under 21. Se habla español.

Healthy Kids Sonoma Co. (RCHC): 565-4471. Helps enroll community members of all ages in Calfresh (Food Stamps) and affordable health plans. Se habla español.

California Kids Healthcare Foundation (CalKids): 1-818-755-9700. 
Low cost medical & dental insurance for children. Se habla español.

Covered California (California Health Benefit Exchange): 916-445-4171Affordable health care coverage. Sliding scale. May be eligible for free coverage through Medi-Cal. Enrollment assistance offered at Santa Rosa Community Health Centers. (See Health Care section for locations.)

Medi-Cal: 1-877-699-6868. Medi-Cal pays for eligible medical, dental & emergency services & medicine for low-income individuals, children & disabled individuals. M-F 8:30am-3pm. May apply over the phone.  2550 Paulin Dr. (map). Se habla español. Benefits CalWIN (BCW):  Apply online at: or


Countywide (Santa Rosa location)
General Assistance: 565-2715.
 Temporary cash assistance for low income, unemployed or disabled individuals. Walk-ins M-F 8am-5pm. Apply for services M-F 8:30am-3pm. 2550 Paulin Dr. (map). Se habla español.

Social Security Benefits (SSI & SSDI): 1-877-870-6384 (local)/800-772-1213 7am-7pm. Assists people with disabilities with applications for financial assistance. Can apply online. Many community clinics & service agencies also offer application assistance. Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 9am-3pm, Wed 9am-12 noon. 2099 Range Av, Bldg A (map). Se habla español.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): 565-5500. Cash and child care assistance for families with dependent children. Walk-ins M-F 8am-5pm. Apply M-F 8:30am-3pm. 2227 Capricorn Way #100 (map). Se habla español.


Countywide (Santa Rosa location)
Catholic Worker: 575-8342. 
Some rental & utility assistance. Tues & Fri 9:30-11:30am. Back Cottage “A”, behind the Homeless Services Center at 600 Morgan St.

Community Action Partnership Sonoma Co. (CAPS): 544-6911. The HCA Family Fund is a countywide, one-time rental assistance program designed to prevent homelessness. Applicants may be eligible for up to three (3) months of assistance, providing they participate in a household debt repayment plan and work closely with their financial coach. Applicants are eligible if they have not received a security deposit in the past, or if they have, the past security deposit must have been returned to the HCA Family Fund. All applicants must attend the financial workshop and must be a Sonoma County resident for 6 months or more &  have income to qualify. If applying for deposit assistance, applicant must be approved for the property. Workshops take place on the first Wednesday of every month. English workshop @1:00pm. Spanish workshop @2:30pm. Entry to the workshop is done by raffle. 141 Stony Circle, Suite 210. Se habla español.

Council on Aging Services for Seniors: 525-0143.  Rent & deposit assistance for seniors 60+ (except Petaluma & West County). M-Th 8:30am-5pm; Fri 8:30am-3:30pm. Also see Food: Meals, Legal Services & Senior Services sections. 30 Kawana Springs Rd. (map)

Disability Services & Legal Center Housing Program: 528-2745.  Helps disabled individuals & family members with housing search, rental deposits or late rent. Must attend orientation Mondays 1:30pm. First come, first served. Office hours: M-F 8:30am-12 noon, 1pm-5pm. 521 Mendocino Ave. (map). Se habla español & ASL. Also see Disability Services section.

Face to Face/Sonoma County AIDS Network: 544-1581. Helps with rent, utilities, critical needs & benefits applications for people with HIV/AIDS. Tue-Fri 9am-5pm. 873 Second St. (map). Se habla español. Also see Health Care, Transportation & Permanent Supportive Housing

North Bay Veterans Resource Center (Div. of Veterans Resource Centers of America): 578-8387 (VETS). Provides utility payment, security deposit & rental assistance to low income vets. M-F 8am-5pm. After hours appointments available. 200 Montgomery Drive, Suite C (map)

The Salvation Army REACH Program: 542-0981. Helps with rent, utilities, food, clothing & unexpected financial hardship. Apply by phone.  Call M-Th 1pm-3pm. Serves Sonoma County, excluding Sonoma Valley & areas north of Healdsburg & south of Cotati. 93 Stony  Circle (map). Se habla español limitada.

Required Documents:

  • 15 day or 48 hour notice – The program can assist with up a to $200 maximum.  Anything over $200 must be paid and you will be required to show proof of payment before we can begin the application process.

  • Hardship – Documentation showing an unexpected financial hardship within the last 120 days. (Medical, dental, car repair, home repair, etc.)

  • Identification – Photo I.D. and Social Security Card for person named on the account.  Identification is required for everyone in household: Adults: Photo ID or Social Security Card, Children:  ID can be a birth certificate, Social Security card or Medical card.

  • Income – ONE month’s proof of income for the entire household.  Proof of income must be less than 60 days old. There must be sufficient income to cover rent and utilities.  Program guidelines are based on gross income. (MUST HAVE CURRENT INCOME OR CANNOT START APPLICATION PROCESS)

  • Rent or Mortgage – Rental agreement or rent receipt for current month or mortgageschedule or receipt of current payment.

  • Section 8 or HUD Qualifications – applicants must bring in paperwork showing how much HUD/Section 8 pays and what amount you’re supposed to be paying. Also, to qualify for the program if on Section 8 or HUD, there must be someone in the household who is 62 or older, permanently disabled or terminally ill.

The Salvation Army Season of Sharing Program: 542-0981. Rental Assistance and Critical Family Needs. Serves Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park & Cotati only. Call M-Th 1pm-3pm.

Please bring the following:

  • California Driver’s License / Valid California Photo Identification Card (bring the original)

  • Social Security cards of all who live in the household (bring the originals)

  • Proof of income for all household members (bring the originals)

  • Lease Agreement or Rental agreement is needed for the process of your application. (Bring original document)

  • Rental Assistance – You must provide the Season of sharing program with a letter from the landlord or leasing agent that states the amount of rent past due or the deposit required.  This must be on letterhead that has the address and phone number of the landlord.

  • Critical Family Need – Documentation showing an unexpected financial hardship (medical, loss of job, home repair, etc.)

  • A letter is required from you explaining the events that lead up to this situation and why you need help. If you have any receipts for expenses or documents showing your hardships make sure you bring them in to review.

Please gather all the above items before coming in.  Not having all the required documentation only prolongs the process.  We will not accept partial documentation. Please note:

  • You must have minor children, someone in the household who is disabled or over 60 years of age.

  • You will be required to prove that you will be able to pay your rent the months following the one in which you receive assistance.

  • If you have received assistance from SOS in the past, you may not receive additional assistance for at least five years. 

Our Family Services offices are located at 93 Stony Circle, Door C, Santa Rosa. For more information, please call 707-542-0998.

Wallace House Community Services: 894-2727. 
Helps with rent, security deposit, PG&E & water bills, bus passes, food, clothing & gas vouchers for Cloverdale & Geyserville residents. Mon, Wed, Fri 9:30am-12 noon. Se habla español.  Also see Day Centers, Emergency Shelters, Permanent Supportive Housing & Transitional Housing sections.

West County Community Services: 823-1640. 
Season of Sharing: one time help with rent or deposit & other critical needs (no car repairs). By appointment. 16390 Main St. map. Se habla español. Also see Emergency Shelters, Counseling & Mental Health, Employment & Training, Food and Senior Services sections.

Healdsburg Day Labor Center (California Human Development): 433-6652. 
Helps with rent, utilities & food stamp (CalFresh) applications. M-F 7am-12pm. 405 Grove St. (map). Se habla español. Also see Employment & Training section.

Reach for Home (formerly North Sonoma County Services): 433-6161. clients experiencing an episodic gap in money to cover bills, Reach for Home provides general assistance to families & individuals liivng in Healdsburg, Cloverdale, Windsor or Geyserville. Clients may also qualify for Rapid Re-Housing.  Over a nine-month period, clients may receive decreasing amounts of short-term rent subsidies as they acclimate to budgeting rent & building self-sufficency, before transitioning to paying market rents. By appointment. Mon-Fri 8:30am-4pm.  443 Hudson St.  Se habla español. Also see Transitional Housing section. 

COTS Rapid Re-Housing (RRH): 765-6530 x 113
. Provides security deposit and/or rental assistance to homeless individuals & families. Must be homeless at time of application. Applications must be received during open application periods only. See for more information.

Petaluma People Services Center: 765-8488.  Provides one time grant for people at risk of losing their home. Applicants may be rejected for not meeting program guidelines, or if there are no funds available. Grant does not cover an entire security deposit or rent for applicants on Section 8/HUD Voucher. No walk-ins. 1500 Petaluma Blvd So. #A (map). Se habla español. Also see Alcohol & Drug Recovery, Counseling & Mental Health, Employment & Training, Food, Legal Services, Senior Services & Paratransit sections.

The Salvation Army: 769-0716. Helps with rent, utilities & critical needs. Apply by phone. Mon-Thu 1pm-3pm. Se habla español.

Sonoma Valley
Friends in Sonoma Helping (FISH): 996-0111. 
One time assistance for rent, deposit or utilities.  Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Also see Food & Transportation sections.

La Luz Center: 938-5131. Helps with rent, utilities & emergency assistance. Mon-Fri 9am-4pm. Se habla español. 17560 Greger St. (map).  Also see Employment & Training, Food & Health Care sections.


North Coast Energy Services: 463-0303 or
 800-233-4480. Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides one time payment per calendar year. Depends on income, household size & funding. Households facing shutoff (15-day or 48-hour notice) may receive immediate help. Call 800-233-4480 for current locations & hours.  M-F 8am-4:30pm. Se habla español.

Windsor Service Alliance: 838-6947.  Helps with late gas & electric bills. Photo ID & proof of Windsor residency required. 8987 Windsor Rd. (map). Se habla español. Also see Food: Emergency Groceries

Quick Links



Health Care
Financial Help